Monday, December 29, 2008

Nathaniel James Ashby

Nathaniel was born on Saturday, December 27th at 5:09am. He weighed 7lbs 15oz and is 20 1/2 inches long. He is a very healthy, beautiful baby and very good natured. 
My water broke about 10:40pm on Friday night. James and I have been so busy trying to get settled, celebrate birthdays and Christmas that we were not prepared for anything other than what was planned...Being induced on Monday. I had planned to pack my hospital bag on Sunday. We made it to the hospi
tal in record time (without speeding). I remembered my toothbrush and hospital paperwork. Because Nathaniel was breech on Tuesday I was rushed in and prepped for a c-section. I insisted on an ultrasound to be sure and our gymnast had flipped again to head down. Labor here I come!!! For me the worst part of labor is getting the epidural. From there everything was smooth and relatively quick.

We were prepared for the worst and got the very best. James didn't get to cut the 
cord so that Nathaniel could be taken by neonatology immediately to be assessed and get an echo to see if emergency surgery was necessary for his atrial septum. The emergency surgery we were expecting was not necessary. James was able to follow him out and take pictures. James surprised me when he came back into the room carrying our littlest bundle of joy
 and then handed him to me to hold for a couple of minutes before being taken to NICU. We didn't think we would get to hold him at all for at least the first couple of weeks. Because he has been so
 healthy, despite his heart problems and multiple IV's we have been able to hold him!!!! My mom and the girls came to visit him yesterday. James and I are so blessed and have seen so many miracles. Thank you so much for your prayers they help these miracles to happen.

2 comments:

J. Paige said...

What a beautiful baby! Thanks for sharing your special miracles.

Diana said...

I am so delighted to hear your beautiful son is here. We are all carrying all of you Ashbys in our hearts and our prayers. Diana