Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Step Down

The New Year started off GREAT! Nathaniel was taken off the respirator On Monday January 5th. He has continued to improve every day. On the 8th he was moved from CVICU to the "step down" level. This is where we learn how to care for him so we can take him home. Of course there are other things to keep in mind he is learning how to take a bottle for the first time and this takes a lot of practice, work and endurance. He is learning quickly and is up to as much as 24cc. We try twice a day now with a bottle otherwise he is getting breast milk through a tube down his throat and into his stomach. The best part about the step down is that we can hold him as much as we want and I get to be more of his mom. I don't remember ever wanting to be a nurse, this is still a long way from that, but I sure am learning a lot and still have a lot to learn. Some of the things we'll learn is how to check his weight, saturation levels, administer medications and I don't know what else yet.

My mom is still here which has been a huge help. The girls have some normal in their everyday lives. Elisabeth has started preschool and
 loves it! While we finish up here at the hospital, we still don't know how much longer, either James or myself is expected to be here to care for Nathaniel. Without Mom I don't know how we'd do it. We truly appreciate her willingness and sacrifice for our family. DeAnna and Chase have also come out to help us. They were here for 3 days and helped us out a lot by cleaning out gutters, raking leaves, unpacking boxes and organizing the playroom. We really enjoyed having them here and appreciate the effort it took on their part (you'll have to ask them about the trips here and back).

I realize I haven't been updating this as often as needed so if you have specific questions don't hesitate to send me an email.

2 comments:

Katy said...

So glad things continue to go well! Nathaniel is such a cute little guy. I am sure the girls will be so ready to have their little brother come home, but in the meantime it is wonderful that your mom has been there with them! We continue to pray for you all!

Megan said...

I'm so glad to hear that all is doing good!! I remember the first time we held Killie and it was amazing! Its hard to be mom and nurse in the ICU's but it is great preparation for when hes home!!