Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nathaniel the Amazing...

Today was Nathaniel's 4 month checkup. James and I never what to expect going in to these appointments. When we think something amazing will happen it doesn't and when we think it will be like the last time it isn't. Today was no different I wasn't expecting anything...just another listen to his heart and tell us we'll just wait and see. Today the card. came in and said that we'll wait to see what the pictures tell us. I'm thinking, oh we're going to have an ultrasound okay that we'll be good. Then he goes on to tell us that he's predicting a possible cath to balloon the aortic arch and the Fontan/3rd surgery in the spring. It took a lot of effort to not say, "What?," and keep my jaw from dropping open. This was so not what we were anticipating. Nathaniel was being a typical little boy in a doctor's office (I guess). He was throwing anything I gave him, laughing afterward and being very loud even for him. I thought there is no way he is going to hold still for an ultrasound we're going to be spending a day in the hospital for them to put him under to get any decent pictures.

Heavenly Father answers our prayers...As I put him on the bed for the ultrasound I said a silent prayer that he would cooperate. He laid there and didn't hardly move or make a sound. When we did this in the ER in May he cried and was ornery until he finally fell asleep so that the doctor could do the ultrasound. The tech got the pictures needed without any trouble from Nathaniel.

Marinda was with us today too, she also did amazing. It was time for a potty break and as I was taking her out of the exam room Nathaniel's card was walking out of the ultrasound room and saying, "I wasn't expecting it to be that good!" I'm thinking oh yah, oh yah. The card returned to the exam room a few minutes later with a smile on his face and says that after comparing this ultrasound and the one in May the function looks better than what he had expected and even better than in May. He goes on to tell us that the arch, which is a definite problem for Nathaniel, looks the same as in May. These are the same things we heard at the ultrasound in the ER in May. My point...Prayers are answered and miracles DO happen. I asked out loud tonight who had been praying for Nathaniel's heart and Clarissa said she had. I then went on to tell her that her prayers are being answered. I'm grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that I have that we're not going through this life alone. I know He is listening. I'm grateful for the opportunity to show our children how their prayers are being answered and give them evidence of Heavenly Father's hand in our lives.

I don't know how common it is to have the heart function continue to improve 18 months after the Glenn surgery. All I know is that his heart function has always been less than ideal even for a HLHS baby. We still don't know when his next surgery will be but our card isn't even going to bring it for discussion until next spring. Our next check up is in January and we'll see where we are at that point.

I know that many family and friends have been praying for him and putting his name in the temple. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am so grateful for each of you. Please keep him in your prayers. When you see Nathaniel you don't see a sickly little boy, you'd never know that he has a congenital heart disease. He is amazing! He is a miracle!

Yesterday Marinda, Nathaniel and I went to the park. I felt inspired to take the camera. Here are a few pictures of our little man....




Nathaniel loves to pretend he's driving the car. The dot on his lip is my dirty windshield!

4 comments:

DeAnna said...

Not only do I have an amazing little nephew that is a walking miracle everyday... but I have the most amazing sister. Thanks so much for your post, I really needed that. I know that prayer is such an amazing way we can communicate with our Father in Heaven. Thanks for your example. I have actually been thinking about faith & prayer a lot today. Got to love trials but more than anything we get to appreciate that we can always feel comfort through prayer & we always learn something from those trials!!! Love ya tons Ashby family!!

Brooke said...

You guys are so amazing, and I'm so happy that Nathaniel is doing so well! I hope things continue to go well for you guys, if anyone deserves it, it is you!

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO WONDERFUL! Words can't say!

Maria Hoagland said...

I sure do appreciate your faith and example! So glad to hear that things are going relatively well for you and your family!